Are You Ignoring the I-9 Elephant in the Room?
196 employers, owners, managers and supervisors were arrested last year because they ignored their Form I-9 problems. This wreaked havoc in their families and their finances. Could it happen to you? They could have had a much different story, they had contacted us.
The fact is, over 80% of employer I-9 Forms are flawed. You can’t afford to ignore this problem and hope you’re never audited by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Have experts at Form I-9 Compliance, LLC review your I-9 Forms today, so you won’t have to worry about an ICE I-9 audit.
- You’ll discover all missing and flawed I-9 Forms. (We know exactly what errors ICE is looking for.)
- You’ll receive corrective actions and detailed audit reporting.
- You’ll demonstrate a “good faith” effort to comply with existing immigration laws to ICE.
- You’ll be able to avoid business disruptions by controlling when and how you make corrections.
Just as the average person fears an IRS audit, most employers fear a Form I-9 audit by ICE. Chipotle Mexican Grill recently found this out the hard way when an ICE audit resulted in the termination of 33% of their existing employees in Minnesota and the investigation of their stores in other states as well.
How serious of a risk is an I-9 audit by ICE? Last year, they began targeting the hiring practices of U.S. employers with devastating results.
- $36,000,000 in employer fines and sanctions were issued.
- 58% more owners, managers and supervisors faced criminal charges.
- 57% employers were audited.
- 223% more businesses were debarred – losing their right to work on federal contracts.
- 2,746 businesses were investigated by ICE.
- $100 – $16,000 is the potential fine per I-9 Form – this adds up!
What did these employers do? They had missing or flawed I-9 Forms and/or a pattern and practice of hiring workers that did not have a right to work in the United States.
ICE has shown that it is serious about worksite enforcement. As a matter of fact, in a conference I attended in March, ICE officials stated that the 2011 numbers would be “enormous” compared to the 2010 statistics noted above. If that’s true, then it now looks like it’s not a matter of IF, but WHEN you’ll be audited.
Call 1-866-359-4949 today, so you won’t have to worry about tomorrow. We’ve reviewed I-9 Forms for the largest employers in the U.S. and know exactly what it takes to protect you and your organization. Just as you use a professional accountant, so you won’t have to worry about an IRS audit, you should use Form I-9 Compliance, so you won’t have to worry about an ICE audit.